From the film's premiere to casting 'Catching Fire,' Hobnobbing takes a look at what to look forward to this year. By Amy Wilkinson
Jennifer Lawrence in the "Hunger Games" trailerPhoto: Lionsgate
The past year boasted a cornucopia of "Hunger Games" highlights for fans to chew on, from the casting of Jennifer Lawrence as gritty heroine Katniss Everdeen to the first full-length trailer to the recent debut of Taylor Swift's soundtrack song "Safe and Sound." But as bountiful as 2011's harvest was, 2012 will offer a bumper crop of news from the big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins' dystopian tome as it finally hits theaters March 23.
Though our calls to Greasy Sae's Psychic Hotline have gone unanswered, we have a few educated guesses about what the new year holds for Panem's people. Read on for our five forecasts:
1. One more trailer With just about two and a half months to go until the first film's debut, we'd bet a silver parachute that fans will get to feast on one more look at Katniss, Peeta and Gale before the tributes enter the arena. What another clip would include, well, we're less sure about that, but we wouldn't mind a closer look at life in District 12 or a more detailed glimpse at the other 22 tributes.
2. A full soundtrack announcement Swift, the Civil Wars, the Decemberists and Arcade Fire's husband/wife duo of Win Butler and Regine Chassagne have all been secured for the T-Bone Burnett-produced soundtrack, but we suspect a few more artists will enter the fray before all is said and sung. I've already made my plea for Florence and the Machine, while NextMovie suggested acts like Snow Patrol and Regina Spektor for the much-anticipated album. We'll keep our ears to the ground for this one.
3. The film's premiere Unless the apocalypse comes early, March 23 will be a blessed day for "Hunger Games" acolytes, as the flick will finally blaze into theaters. We expect more than a few faithful to camp out at their local cineplex for a midnight showing. And we're more than ready to drool over whatever confections Lawrence wears on the red carpet during the movie's premieres and publicity circuit.
4. Casting "Catching Fire" With the second "Hunger Games" installment already slated for a November 22, 2013, release (and an Oscar-winning writer being eyed for the script), we expect the follow-up to begin shooting in mid- to late 2012 — which means a whole new slew of casting calls! Where are you Finnick, Johanna, Beetee and Mags?
5. First look at "Catching Fire" Asking for a celluloid sneak would be a stretch, but we don't think it's completely inconceivable to think a first snapshot might find its way to the Web by the final days of 2012. Here's hoping the "Catching Fire" director (whomever he/she will be) isn't afraid to take a cue from "Breaking Dawn" helmer Bill Condon, who released the first photographic teaser for the final "Twilight" installments over Thanksgiving in 2010. Happy holidays, "Hunger Games" fans?
What are your expectations for "The Hunger Games" in 2012? Sound off in the comments below and tweet me @amymwilk with your thoughts and suggestions for future columns!